1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Pat Mullin was born on this day in 1917
1946 Rule 5 Draft: 7
1) 1st baseman Ferris Fain was drafted by the Philadelphia Athletics from San Francisco of the PCL in the Rule 5 draft.
2) Boston Red Sox shortstop Virgil Stallcup was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the Rule 5 draft.
3) In the Rule 5 draft, the Pittsburgh Pirates drafted right handed pitcher Ken Holcombe
from the NY Yankees.
4) Outfielder Cliff Mapes was drafted by the New York Yankees from the Cleveland Indians in the Rule 5 draft.
5) The Clev. Indians drafted outfielder Gus Zernial from Atlanta of the Southern Association in the Rule 5 draft.
6) In the Rule 5 draft, the New York Giants drafted infielder Jack (Lucky) Lohrke* from San Diego of the PCL.
7) In the Rule 5 draft, the Chicago White Sox drafted right handed pitcher Earl Harrist
from the Cincinnati Reds.
Other Events/Transactions: 2
1) On this date in 1946, Cleveland Indians owner Bill Veeck* had his right foot amputated, the result of war injuries
suffered 2 years earlier in the South Pacific.
2) On this date in 1951,
catcher Roy Campanella was voted National League
Campy would also win MVP for the 1953 and 1955 seasons.
Sonny Senerchia* died on this date in 2003