1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Michael O'Neil* was born on this day in 1877
* Michael O'Neil shown on 1952 Topps Look-N-See style
card was the first NL pitcher
to hit a pinch-hit grand slam home run. 'Neil accomplishing the feat in 1902 while playing for the St.Louis Cardinals.
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1950, Tigers outfielder Hoot Evers hit for the cycle in a game against the
Cleveland Indians. Boxscore
2) Outfielder Harry (Peanuts) Lowrey was purchased by the St.Louis Cardinals from the Cincinnati Reds on this date in 1950.
3) On this date in 1952, Yankee 1st baseman Johnny (The Big Cat) Mize pinch hit a grand slam HR against the Washington Senators.
Mize had now homered in each of the 15 ML ballparks. Boxscore
4) In 1953 on this date, in a 6-3 Brooklyn Dodgers win over the Philadelphia Phillies, catcher Roy Campanella hit a 3-run HR,
giving him 125 RBI's for the season and setting a new ML record for catchers. Campy would finish the season with 142. Boxscore
5) Pitcher Dick Donovan* was purchased by the Chicago White Sox from the Milwaukee Braves on this date in 1954.
6) On this date in 1955, New York Yankee pitcher Whitey Ford* pitched his 2nd consecutive 1-hitter, beating the A's 2-1. Boxscore
7) In 1962 on this date, the New York Yankees purchased right handed pitcher Hal Brown* from the Baltimore Orioles.
Willie Miranda died on this date in 1996 Earl Harrist died on this date in 1998