1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Gene Beardon was born on this day in 1920
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) Phillies Pitcher Curt Simmons was the 1st ML player to be inducted into the Army as a result of the Korean War
on this date in 1950. Simmons would get 1 more start but would miss the World Series.
2) Also on this date in 1950, the New York Yankees purchased 1st baseman/outfielder Johnny Hopp from the Pittsburgh Pirates.
3) Charlie (King Kong) Keller* was signed as a free agent by the NY Yankees on this date in 1952.
4) On this date in 1955, in a game with the Philadelphia Phillies, Dodger pitcher Don Newcombe* hit his 7th HR of the season.
Newcombe's clout set a new NL record for HR's by a pitcher. Boxscore
5) Washington Senators outfielder Jim Lemon* slugged 2 homers and had 6 RBI's
in the 3rd inning of a game against the Boston Red Sox on this date in 1959. Boxscore
6) Pitcher Mike Garcia was released by the Washington Senators on this date in 1961.
Garcia (The Big Bear) retired from ML baseball with a W-L record of 142-97 and a career ERA of 3.27.
7) On this date in 1968, the new NL team, the Montreal Expos, announced Gene Mauch* as their first manager.
The Mauch led Expos won their first game of the 1969 season with a 10 to 9 squeaker over the NY Mets.
Billy Herman died on this date in 1992