1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1902, Joe Tinker, Johnny Evers, and Frank Chance** played their first game
as a shortstop, secondbase, first base combo for Chicago. The poem
The trio would turn their first double play on Setember 15, 1902
** Tinkers, Evers, Chance shown on 1952 Topps
Look-N-See style card.
2) Player/manager Rogers Hornsby* pinch-hit an 11th inning grand slam home run as his Chicago Cubs defeated
the Boston Braves 11-7 on this date in 1931. This was the 1st extra inning pinch grand slam in ML history. Boxscore
3) On this date in 1936, Cleveland Indians 17 year old pitcher Bob Feller beat the Philadelphia
Athletics 5-2 giving up 2 hits and striking out 17 batters, setting a new AL strike out record. Boxscore
4) On this date in 1950, Giants pitcher Sal Maglie* had his scoreless inning streak stopped
at 45, but he beat the pirates 3-1 in a rain-shortened 7 inning game. Boxscore
5) The St.Louis Cardinals*, New York Giants*, and Boston Braves* participated
in a rare 3 team doubleheader on this date in 1951. In St.Louis, the Cardinals defeated the Giants in the 1st game 6-4.
In the night-cap, the Cardinals lost to Warren Spahn and the Braves 2-0. Game 1 Boxscore Game 2 Boxscore
6) Pitcher Warren Spahn beat the St.Louis Cardinals 8-2 and became the 1st lefty to win 20 or more games
9 times on this date in 1958. Boxscore
7) On this date in 1965, San Francisco Giants centerfielder Willie Mays hit his 500th career home run
in a 5-1 victory over the Houston Astros. Boxscore
Frank Torre* died on this date in 2014