1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Bob Hooper was born on this day in 1922 Turk Lown was born on this day in 1924
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1925, the St.Louis Cardinal's named Rogers Hornsby* player/manager of the team. Hornsby would go on to
become the only player/manager to win the triple Crown.
2) Inf/of Bob Kennedy was purchased by the Chicago White Sox from the Baltimore Orioles on this date in 1955.
3) On this date in 1956, New York Yankee's slugger Mickey Mantle hit a home run that came within a foot and a half
of leaving Yankee Stadium. Boxscore
4) In 1957 on this date, the Brooklyn Dodgers purchased from the NY Yankees, outfielder Jim Fridley.
5) Infielder Daryl Spencer* was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers by the St.Louis Cardinals
on this date in 1961. Boxscore
6) In 1965 on this date, the Philadelphia Phillies purchased pitcher Lew Burdette* from the Chicago Cubs.
7) Pitcher Whitey Ford* of the New York Yankee's announced his retirement on this date in 1967.
8) On this date in 1971, San Francisco Giant Willie Mays hit his 638th career home run. Boxscore
The home run was also May's 1950th run scored, setting a new NL record, eclipsing the 1949 runs scored by Stan Musial*.