1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Bob Hope* was born on this day in 1903
* Bob Hope, although born in
England, grew up in Cleveland and became part owner of the Cleveland Indians
from 1946 to the late 1990's. This 1952 Topps style card of Bob Hope commemorates
his enthusiasm for the sport of baseball. Thanks for the Memmories
Ferris Fain was born on this day in 1921 Willard Schmidt* was born on this day in 1928
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1948, Philadelphia Phillies rookie Richie Ashburn hit his first ML home run. Ashburn was the lead-off
batter for the Phillies and his first HR was inside-the-park. Boxscore
2) Pitcher Don Johnson was purchased by the Washington Senators from the St.Louis Browns on this date in 1951.
3) Also on this date in 1951, pitcher Bob Mahoney was selected off waivers by the
St.Louis Browns from the Chicago White Sox.
4) In 1953 on this date, the Saint Louis Browns signed left-handed pitcher Max Lanier as a free agent.
5) St.Louis Browns infielder Bob Elliott got his 2,000th hit on this date in 1953
in a game between the Browns and Detroit Tigers. Boxscore
6) Catcher Matt Batts was traded by the Detroit Tigers to the Chicago White Sox
for catcher Bob (Red) Wilson*on this date in 1954.
7) On this date in 1955, in a game between the Cle. Indians and the K.C. Athletics, Indians outfielder Larry Doby
hit the 1st ML home run over the outer wall at Kansas City's Municipal Stadium. Boxscore
8) Pitcher Mike Garcia was released by the Cleveland Indians on this date in 1958.
9) In 1965 on this date, the San Francisco Giants traded infielder/outfielder Harvey Kuenn* to the Chicago Cubs.
Erv Palica died on this date in 1982