1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1951, New York Giants rookie Willie Mays made his ML debut against the Philadelphia Phillies.
Mays went 0-for-5 in his first game. Boxscore
2) Pitcher Phil Haugstad was selected off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds from the Brooklyn Dodgers on this date in 1952.
3) The Brooklyn Dodgers traded pitcher Bud Byerly to the New York Giants on this date in 1953.
4) In a game between the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Pirates, Pirates outfielder Ralph Kiner*
hit the 300th home run of his career in 1953 on this date. Boxscore
5) Max Surkont of the Boston Braves struck out a ML record 8 Cincinnati Reds in a row on this date in 1953. Boxscore
6) The Baltimore Orioles traded left-handed pitcher Dick Littlefield* to the Pittsburgh Pirates for outfielder Cal Abrams on
this date in 1954.
7) Pitcher Joe Black was purchased by the Philadelphia Phillies from the Cincinnati Redlegs on this date in 1957.
8) In 1960 on this date, in a game between the St.Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Braves, George Crowe of the Cardinals hit his ML
record 11th pinch hit home run. Crowe, catcher Smoky Burgess and outfielder Gus Zernial were tied at 10 when the season started. Boxscore
Morrie Martin died on this date in 2010