1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Gil McDougald was born on this day in 1928 Curt Simmons was born on this day in 1929
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) Pitcher Doc Cramer*, Chicago White Sox batting coach in 1952, was released by the Detroit Tigers on this date in 1948.
2) On this date in 1952, the Phila. Athletics selected inf/of Sherry Robertson off waivers from the Washington Senators.
3) In 1954 on this date, the Chicago Cubs selected off waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates, catcher Walker Cooper.
4) On this date in 1956, Pirates 1st baseman Dale Long* hit a ninth inning home run against the Chicago Cubs.
Long would go on to hit home runs in his next 7 consecutive games, establishing a new ML record
for home runs in 8 consecutive games. Boxscore
5) Outfielder Irv Noren was traded by the St.Louis Cardinals to the Chicago Cubs on this date in 1959.
6) On this date in 1960, the New York Yankees traded infielder Andy Carey* to the KC Athletics for outfielder Bob Cerv*.
7) Dick Gernert, outfielder/first baseman, was released by the Houston Colt .45's on this date in 1962.
8) Also on this date in 1962, St.Louis Cardinal future HOF'er Stan Musial* became the NL career hits leader with 3, 431.
His 9th inning single against Ron Perranoski of the the Los Angeles Dodgers moved him ahead of Honus Wagner. Boxscore
9) In 1964 on this date, the Houston Colt .45's released infielder James (Pete) Runnels.
Johnny Berardino died on this date in 1996