1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball cards.
Gil Coan was born on this day in 1922 Don Lund* was born on this day in 1923
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) George Kell, future All-Star 3rd baseman, was traded by the Philadelphia Athletics to the Detroit Tigers for outfielder
Barney McCosky on this date in 1946.
2) On this date in 1950 at the Polo Grounds in New York, catcher Al "Rube" Walker of the Chicago Cubs
hit a grand slam home run in the top of the 6th inning. In the bottom of the 6th inning , NY Giants outfielder Monte Irvin also
hit a grand slam home run.
It was the first time in ML history that each team hit grand slam home runs in the same inning. Boxscore
3) On this date in 1951, Boston Braves catcher Walker Cooper went 5 for 5 in a Braves 12-3 drubbing of the
Pittsburgh Pirates. Boxscore
4) 3rd baseman Billy Johnson, former NY Yankee All-Star , was released by the St.Louis Cardinals on this date in 1953.
5) In 1954 on this date, the NY Giants selected outfielder Hoot Evers off waivers from the Boston Red Sox.
6) On this date in 1956, the New York Yankees released pitcher Jim Konstanty.
7) Wally Westlake, former NL All-Star outfielder, was released by the Philadelphia Phillies on this date in 1956.
8) The Cleveland Indians purchased infielder Fred Hatfield from the Cincinnati Redlegs in 1958 on this date .
9) On this date in 1961, the Cincinnati Reds signed, as a free agent, outfielder Pete Whisenant*.
Marion Fricano* died on this date in 1976