1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Mel Hoderlein* was born on this day in 1923
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1946, infielder Jack (Lucky) Lohrke was traveling on a Spokane Indians
team bus. The bus tumbled over a ravine in the Snoqualmie Pass and killed 9 players including the manager.
Luck was with Lohrke, as he had gotten off at the bus's last stop prior to the crash.
2) Pitcher Tom Ferrick* was purchased by the St.Louis Browns from the Cleveland Indians
on this date in 1946.
3) In 1947 on this date, at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Brooklyn Dodger rookie Jackie Robinson stole home
in a 4-2 Dodger win over the Pittsburgh Pirates. It would be Robinson's 1st steal of home of 19 in his career. Boxscore
4) NY Giants catcher Wes Westrum hit 3 home runs and a triple in a 12-2 Giant win game against the Cincinnati Reds
on this date in 1950. Boxscore
5) On this date in 1955, outfielder Willard Marshall was released by the Chicago White Sox.
6) In 1958 on this date, the Bos. Red Sox traded Jack Spring to the Wash. Senators for Pitcher Bud Byerly.
7) The Cincinnati Redlegs selected 1st baseman Walt Dropo off waivers from the Chicago
White Sox also on this date in 1958.
Dropo hit a home run and went 2 for 4 in his debut with the Redlegs against the LA Dodgers. Boxscore