1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Erv Dusak was born on this day in 1920
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1951, Phil Cavarretta pinch hit against Phillies ace Robin Roberts and hit a grand slam home run.
The Cubs player/manager's slam lead his club to a 8-6 victory in the 2nd game of a double header. Boxscore
2) Outfielder Hoot Evers was selected off waivers by the Detroit Tigers from the New York Giants on this date in 1954.
3) Also on this date in 1954, outfielder Sam Mele was selected off waivers by the Boston Red Sox
from the Baltimore Orioles.
4) In 1955 on this date, in a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, Cincinnati Reds catcher Smoky Burgess hit 3 home runs
and had 9 RBI's. Boxscore
5) Outfielder Dale Mitchell was purchased by the Brooklyn Dodgers from the Cleveland Indians on this date in 1956.
6) On this date in 1957, outfielder Ron Northey was released by the Chicago White Sox.
7) In 1958 on this date, in a game against the Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox slugger Ted Williams* hit his 17th
career grand slam home run. Boxscore
8) Pitcher Don Newcombe* was purchased by the Cleveland Indians from the Cincinnati Reds on this date in 1960.
9) On this date in 1978 at the Yankees Old-Timers game, Billy Martin was announced to be the new Yankee manager in 1980.
The announcement was followed by joyous frenzy from the crowd.
10) In 1996 on this date, after 20 years, 2 world championships and 4 NL Pennants, Tommy Lasorda* resigned
as Dodgers manager.