1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Buddy Blattner* was born on this day in 1920
Hoot Evers was born on this day in 1921 Willard Marshall was born on this day in 1921
Monty Basgall was born on this day in 1922 Joe Black was born on this day in 1924
1) On this date in 1932, pitcher Waite Hoyt*was released by the Philadelphia Athletics.
Hoyt would go on to pitch for the Brooklyn Dodgers and Pittsburgh Pirates.
He was elected into the Hall of Fame in 1969.
2) Outfielder Hoot Evers was signed as an amateur free agent by the Detroit Tigers
on this date in 1941.
3) In 1947 on this date, the St.Louis Browns purchased infielder Billy Hitchcock from the
4) On this date in 1953, infielder Nippy Jones was purchased by Sacramento of the PCL from the Philadelphia Phillies.
5) In 1956 on this date, pitcher Maurice (Mickey) McDermott went to the New York Yankees
from the Washington Senators in a seven player trade. Among those going to the Senators included Pitcher Bob Wiesler*.
6) Infielder Jim Brideweser* was purchased by the Baltimore Orioles from the Detroit Tigers on this date in 1957
7) In 1962 on this date, the Federal Trade Commission accused the Topps Chewing Gum Co.* of monopolizing
the baseball card chewing gum industry. A 1980 court decision opened the door for competition leading to a glut of
baseball cards for many years
Connie Mack* died on this date in 1956 Del Ennis died on this date in 1996
*Connie Mack card designed by Keith Conforti