1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
George Wilson* was born on this day in 1924
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) On this date in 1947, New York Giants rightfielder Willard marshall homered in a game against the Brooklyn Dodgers. Boxscore
The home run gave the Giants 183 for the season, surpassing the 182 hit by the '36 Yankees and setting a new ML record.
The Giants will end the season with 221 round trippers.
2) On this date in 1950, Brooklyn Dodgers 1st baseman Gil Hodges hit 4 home runs and a single against the Boston
Braves. His 17 total bases tied a ML record. Boxscore
3) Outfielder Al Zarilla was purchased by the Boston Red Sox from the St.Louis Browns on this date in 1952.
4) The Cincinnati Reds traded outfielder Hank Edwards to the Chicago White Sox for pitcher Howie Judson
also on this date in 1952.
5) Infielder Davey Williams was released by the New York Giants on this date in 1955.
6) On this date in 1956, wih President Eisenhower in attendence, Washington Senators outfielder Jim Lemon* cracked three home runs
against the visiting New York Yankees. It was all in vain as the Yankees won 6-4. Boxscore
7) On this date in 1957, outfielder/first baseman Irv Noren was selected off waivers by the St.Louis Cardinals
from the Kansas City Athletics.