1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set.
Harry (Peanuts) Lowrey was born on this day in 1918
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) Yankee slugger Joe DiMaggio* hit 3 triples in the 1st game of a doubleheader against the Cleveland Indians on this date in 1938.
2) On this date in 1948, Philadelphia Athletics infielder Henry (Hank) Majeski clubbed 6 doubles in a twin-bill against the St.Louis Browns.
3) In 1951 on this date, in a game against the Cincinnati Reds, Philadelphia Phillies catcher Del Wilber hit 3 solo home runs
to provide all the scoring in a 3-0 Phillies win. Boxscore
4) Dodger outfielder Carl Furillo* threw out Pittsburgh Pirate pitcher Mel Queen* at 1st base after Queen had
apparently singled to right field on this date in 1951. Boxscore
Furillo was known as "The Reading Rifle" because of his strong throwing arm.
5) On this date in 1988, Dodger Tommy Lasorda* won his 1,000th game as manager
of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Boxscore
Bob Mahoney died on this date in 2000