1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set
Maurice (Mickey) McDermott was born on this day in 1929 Steve Ridzik* was born on this date in 1929
(Box scores provided by baseball-reference.com)
1) Pitcher Ted Wilks of the St.Louis Cardinals lost his first game in 77 consecutive appearances
on this date in 1948. Boxscore
Relief ace Wilks posted a 12-0 record during his streak which included 4 starts.
2) Cleveland Indians outfielder Jim Fridley went 6 for 6 in a 21-9 victory over the
Philadelphia Athletics in 1952 on this date. Boxscore
3) On this date in 1953, in a game between the Milwaukee Braves and New York Giants, Joe Adcock, the Braves first baseman,
became the first player in ML history to hit a home run over the field bleachers at the New York Polo Grounds. Boxscore
4) Johnny Lipon, former shortstop for the Detroit Tigers, was released by the Cincinnati Redlegs on this date in 1954.
5) In 1957 on this date, the Boston Red Sox traded infielder Milt Bolling*and first baseman Faye Throneberry to the Washington Senators for
pitcher Bob Chakales .
6) Outfielder Pete Whisenant* was purchased by the Cleveland Indians from the Cincinnati Reds in 1960 on this date.
7) On this date in 1962 New York Mets leftfielder Frank Thomas*, in a game with the Philadelphia Phillies,
tied a ML mark by getting hit by a pitch twice in one inning. Boxscore
8) In 1962 on this date, the San Francisco Giants purchased outfielder Bob Nieman* from
the Cleveland Indians.
Jack Lohrke* died on this date in 2009