1952 TOPPS Baseball Cards
Events for 1952 Topps Stars Occurring on This Day:
* Indicates players, teams or others that were not included in the original 1952 Topps baseball card set
1) The Boston Red Sox* played their first game at Fenway Park n this date in 1912.
Tris Speaker delivers the game-winning RBI as the Red Sox beat the NY Highlanders 7-6 in 11 innings.
2) On this date in 1916, newly built Weeghman Park in Chicago saw the Chicago Cubs* play
their first game at the stadium and beat the Cinncinati Reds 7-6. Weeghman Park would later
be named Wrigley Field in honor of the Cubs owner Charles Wrigley. Write up.
3) On this date in 1939, Ted Williams* made his ML debut with
the Boston Red Sox. Ted went 1 for 4, his only hit
a 400 ft. double, as the Red Sox lost to the New York Yankees 2-0. Boxscore
4) Chicago Cubs radio announcer Bert Wilson* announced the first Chicago Cubs
game in history to be televised on this date in 1946. The TV station was WBKB. The Cubs
lost to the St.Louis Cardinals 2-0. Boxscore
5) Third baseman Willie (Puddin Head) Jones of the Philadelphia Phillies tied a NL record
by hitting four consecutive doubles against the Boston Braves on this date in 1949 . Boxscore
6) Also in 1949 on this date, the Cleveland Indians purchased pitcher Al Benton from the Detroit Tigers.
7) Outfielder Bobby Del Greco was traded to the Chicago Cubs by the St.Louis Cardinals on this date in 1957.
8) Also in 1957 on this date, the Detroit Tigers signed pitcher Lou Sleater as a free agent.
Bucky Walters* died on this date in 1971